Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What Should Colleges Teach?

Reading Stanley Fish's article, I really agree with him. There has got to be more courses solely devoted to composition, writing, grammar etc. All this other nonsense, which I can honestly say I blame many administrators, should might as well be classes that are labeled as "time wasting". Having good, well constructed, clean English habits is a must and should be the hottest trend, so why not catch on? Listen to Fish, the man clearly knows what he is talking about, as do instructors. Fish, along with many teachers, instructors, professors, etc. are the ones in the classrooms working with students and grading the papers. Yet who makes up these bogus credit requirements and classes that don't focus on one clean topic. The guidelines for teaching certain material should be a bit more strict, let the teachers make up the rules and guidelines. It angers me to think about all these people that make up the guidelines who don't even teach, interact, or physically see what is being taught. "Teach the subject matter and don't adulterate it with substitutes". (ACTA). Teach what is needed to be taught is exactly right, why would I want to sit in an English class and learn about things other than English. I want to take classes that will help me in my major. I don't want to look back and say what did I need that class for? For example, Algebra, I have always despised mathematics. I'm thinking about a career that would focus more on writing/thinking, anything English related actually, for instance Human Resources. Why would I need Algebra? So why am I forced to take it. Why should people care if I am bad at math when you won't be needing me or my math skills to, for example, solve the Nation's debt? So WHY am I forced to take it. It's a mess to me and the academic plans should really be checked out immensely.

0 comments: